‘I haven’t been able to stop the “You need to update your version of media player” screen from showing up. Malwarebytes and avast haven’t stopped it. ’
‘I’ve recently found that if I leave my browser open and unattended for an extended period of time it will load a page to http://way.clubsodan…re&nm=ilmernzkv which contains the message “You need to update your version of media player” and an update button. This appears to be malware of some type, but my Mbam Pro (actively scanning for all threats) is not picking this behavior up or blocking it. Why is this not being blocked and what can I do to remove this threat? It happens in all three major browsers for me.’
The message keeps popping up even though you are using the latest version of media player. It is obvious that the message is fake and it may result in bloody virus attack like being blocked by FBI cybercrime division, which happened many times before.
Cunning You Need to Update Your Version of Media Player Message
‘You need to update your version of media player’ is not just a message that keeps popping up to annoy you. Once it successfully traps you in to click on update, malicious code is able to attach systematic items that reference service on the machine. Therefore, some people would start to catch some unreasonable issues as listed below:
- Unwanted toolbars are installed onto browsers without asking for your permission beforehand;
- CPU usage is unstable;
- There are sporadic search redirects happening;
- More ads are coming into your sight.
Those issues may not arouse your attention at the very beginning as they happen sometimes, which makes you think that those are results from certain spam sites or mistakenly made operations. Your connivance over them will make you suffer a lot afterwards.
When in, ‘you need to update your version of media player’ message is able to form vulnerability on your computer ‘thanks to’ its registry entries that insert into the kernel part of the system. The kernel part of a system is default and it is better not to make any modification if you don’t know about computers as random modification would results in vulnerability and would weaken the ability to ward off virus. Be noted that tracking cookies are always there when there’s vulnerability. If you leave ‘you need to update your version of media player’ message behind for quite a while, your information will be resold to more spammers. You never click on ‘you need to update your version of media player’ message but the message keeps popping up? You need to remove it. You once clicked on it? There’s an immediacy to remove ‘you need to update your version of media player’ virus right now. Follow the steps below .
Step-by-Step Instruction to Show How to Remove ‘You Need to Update Your Version of Media Player’
Option 1: How to Remove ‘You Need to Update Your Version of Media Player’ Manually
Step1. Disable any suspicious startup items.
For Windows XP:
Step: Click Start menu -> click Run -> type: msconfig in the search bar -> open System Configuration Utility -> Disable all possible startup items including those of ‘you need to update your version of media player’:
Step2. Remove add-ons:
1) Go to Tools -> ‘Manage Add-ons’;
2) Choose ‘Search Providers’ -> choose ‘Bing’ search engine or ‘Google’ search engine and make it default;
3) Select ‘Search Results’ and click ‘Remove’ to remove it;
4) Go to ‘Tools’ -> ‘Internet Options’; select ‘General tab’ and click website, e.g. Google.com. Click OK to save changes.
1) Click on ‘Customize and control’ Google Chrome icon, select ‘Settings’;
2) Choose ‘Basic Options’;
3) Change Google Chrome’s homepage to google.com or any other and click the ‘Manage Search Engines…’ button;
4) Select ‘Google’ from the list and make it your default search engine;
5) Select ‘Search Result’ from the list to remove it by clicking the ‘X’ mark.
1) Click on the magnifier’s icon and select ‘Manage Search Engine…’;
2) Choose ‘Search Results’ from the list and click ‘Remove’ and OK to save changes;
3) Go to ‘Tools’ -> “Options”. Reset the startup homepage or change it to google.com under ‘General tab;
Step3. Show hidden files
a) open Control Panel from Start menu and search for Folder Options;
b) under View tab to tick Show hidden files and folders and non-tick Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) and then click OK;
c) click on the “Start” menu and then click on the “Search programs and files” box, Search for and delete these files generated by ‘you need to update your version of media player’:
C:\Users\user account\Appdata\Local C:\Users\user account\Appdata\Local\Temp C:\Users\user account\Appdata\Roaming
Step4. Disable cookies relative to ‘you need to update your version of media player’
For Internet Explorer
1) Go to Tools in the menu bar
2) Click on Internet Options
3) Click on the General tab which should be under “Browsing History” and click “Delete”
For Mozilla Firefox
1) Go to Tools in the menu bar
2) Click on Options
3) Click on the Privacy tab
4) Click on “Clear Now”
5) Select “Cookies”
6) Click on “Clear Private Data Now”
For Google Chrome
1) Click on the spanner icon in the top right of the browser
2) Click on “Options”
3) Click on “Under the Bonnet” (UK) / “Under the Hood” (US)
4) Click on the “Content settings” button in the Privacy section
5) Click on the “Clear browsing data” button
1) Go to the Safari menu (icon in top right of browser) and select Preferences
2) In the popup window that appears, select the Security icon (a padlock)
3) Under “Accept Cookies”, select the “Never” button
Step5. Delete all related registry values related to ‘you need to update your version of media player’ in your local hard disk C.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.exe HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.exe HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
Option 2: How to Remove ‘You Need to Update Your Version of Media Player’ Automaticlly with Spyhunter (Recommended)
Step 1: click here to download Spyhunter Removal tool.
Step 2: give your permission to run the the executable file of Spyhunter
Step 3: accept the license agreement to continue the installation.
Step 4: SpyHunter has been successfully installed.
Step 5: please scan your compute with Spyhunter now to detect and remove any threats in your PC.
ATTENTION PLEASE: people should always be careful when planning to update Adobe or Flash player. What ‘you need to update your version of media player’ message virus downloads can be different. Therefore, if in any case that you are unable to get rid of ‘you need to update your version of media player’ message after finishing the above steps, Download Remover Here Easily!
Get a Safer, Cleaner & Faster PC!
A good spyware remover can safeguard your computer at real-time automatically.
- Terminate latest, stubborn virus/spyware
- Safe, effective and complete
- Fix various PC problems
So, pick one of your favorite to protect your system easily.
Malwarebytes is one of the most popular and widely used anti-virus and malware-removal software applications for both home and corporate computer users alike.